top of page

WARNING: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander viewers are warned that the following may contain images, story and voices of deceased, by and about persons. Discretion advised.

Masthead ABHM.jpg
Jimmy Bieundurry

25 July 2020 // Jimmy Payirntarri Bieundurry

#25ABHM2020_Jimmy Bieundurry.jpg

Jimmy Payirntarri Bieundurry (1938- 1 June1985), Walmatjarri leader, was born around 1938, near Lake Gregory, East Kimberley, Western Australia. As a child, Jimmy lived in a completely traditional way. He saw his first white person when he was around 8 years old. That police patrol "ran down", shot and massacred the rest of his family. Jimmy and his older brother were amongst of only a few survivors and were put into a life of slave labour on cattle stations. He was among the last of the Walmajarri to come out of the desert regions into the cattle-station country of the Kimberley in the 1950s. 


While a young man he attended school at Fitzroy Crossing and learned to read. There, on 3 June 1967 at the People’s Church, he married Olive Bent, who was to become a qualified translator, noted musician and Bieundurry’s partner in activism and leadership.

He was politicised during the upheaval that followed the granting in 1968 of award wages to Aboriginal workers in the pastoral industry, as his people were evicted or, when owners and managers refused to pay the award, walked off the cattle stations on which they had lived and worked. In the early 1970s up to two thousand displaced people were camped in appalling conditions at Fitzroy Crossing.

By 1977 Bieundurry was employed by Community Health Services at Looma. He was an inaugural member (1977-81) of the National Aboriginal Conference, representing the West Kimberley, and a member (1978-80) of the Aboriginal Lands Trust. In 1978 he became a founding co-chairman of the Kimberley Land Council. Unlike its Northern Territory counterparts, the KLC was a non-statutory organisation. In its early years it was effectively supported by Bieundurry, from his NAC-resourced office at Derby.


In 1979 Bieundurry became involved in the conflict between the Yungngora (Yangngara) community of Noonkanbah station on the one hand, and, on the other, the Western Australian government and Amax Exploration (Australia) over plans to drill an exploratory oil well on sacred ground. Throughout the dispute he was a significant and eloquent advocate for the Aboriginal position.

In 1980 he attended a World Council of Churches consultation on racism at Noordwijkerhout, the Netherlands, and was a member of the NAC delegation that took the Noonkanbah case to the sub-commission on prevention of discrimination and protection of minorities, United Nations Commission on Human Rights, in Geneva, Switzerland. He was appointed a founding member (1980-84) of the Aboriginal Development Commission.


Whether he was ‘out bush’ in the Kimberley, or in Canberra, or overseas, Bieundurry’s charisma was evident. With a preacher’s eloquence and passion, though not in the fire and brimstone vein, he was quiet but persuasive with a calm intensity. There was at times a tension between his twin roles of lay preacher and political leader. In the aftermath of the Noonkanbah dispute, he felt ‘burnt out’ and somewhat disillusioned.

He largely withdrew from his political and leadership positions, and devoted considerable efforts to setting up an outstation at Jalyirr, in the desert country. Survived by his wife, and their three daughters and two sons, he died of ischaemic heart disease on 1 June 1985, ninety kilometres south-west of Billiluna station.

His funeral, one of the largest ever seen in the Kimberley region, was held at Wangkatjunka. He was buried in Christmas Creek cemetery, near Fitzroy Crossing.

Recommended viewing

bottom of page